14 August, 2010

80/20 Rule

Ever heard of the 80/20 rule?


My best friend brought up this interesting topic that I've never thought existed! But when I asked another friend about it, they told me it was from the movie "Why did I get Married". (CLEARLY- I was not paying attention) Either way- so let's talk about it because it seems to be a true theory/rationale to some people and I an see the rationale.


The theory is:


in a relationship you can only get 80% of what you want/need, and when you meet someone who gives the missing 20%- you believe they are giving you all that you were missing.


I can see how this theory works. Human nature always makes people remember the worst parts of someone first before they remember the best parts. And people always recognize what they don't have before they stop to appreciate what they DO. 


What are the things that people feel drops in the missing 20% range tends to be? I really can't think of much right now. But I do know that relationships are about compromise! And you can't always get what you want (this post has maxed out my use of cliche terms already..time to stop.)


I also think you can get your 100%! But-hey- I'm also an idealist... lol.


But really there's no excuse for stupidity- choosing a 20%'er over an 80%'er- buuuuuut we all know that life is about fulfilling desires, wants and immediate missing links. What makes instant satisfaction more important than thinking about each move before you do it? 



LESSON LEARNED: Ultimately, life is about personal choice and recognizing what you REALLY need and deserve in life! 
If something in that 20% range is something you realized is what you need- GO FOR IT! Just make sure to think about what your 80% is..

No comments:

Post a Comment